Once you have set up your profile, the steps below provide an overview of how to create a proposal using Cayuse 424 and electronically route it for approval, prior to submission. These instructions are also included in the GW Cayuse 424 Quick Guide (PDF).
Step 2: Begin a Proposal
- Click on the proposals link or the Proposals tab at the top of the page.
- On the Proposals tab, click Create Proposal at the top of the screen.
- Select a proposal type:
- Grants.gov – Federal opportunities downloaded from and submittable to grants.gov
- Other proposal – For those not submitted through grants.gov, including submissions to foundations.
- Subaward proposal – For internal use or for sending to other institutions that use Cayuse.
- Click “Create.”
Step 3: Create New Proposal
- Proposal Name – Enter [PI Last Name]/[Sponsor] - [Short Proposal Title]. For example: Smith/NIH - Cold Atmospheric Plasma
- Search for the PI’s name and select correct PI.
- Organization – This will autopopulate when PI is selected.
- # of Budget Periods – Select the appropriate number of periods (usually the # of years in the budget).
- Due Date – This is the due date established by the sponsor.
- Validation Type – Select the appropriate federal agency. If the agency isn’t listed, select “Other – Federal Agency” for federal proposals and “Other-Minimal” for non-federal proposals.
- Click “Create Proposal.”
Step 4: Add users
- Click on the Permissions link on the left (or symbol in upper right)
- Add additional Users (Co-Is, Local Administrators, etc.)
Step 5: Complete the Proposal
If the proposal will be submitted through Cayuse, the required forms and proposal sections will appear in the left-hand navigation bar. Complete these sections and upload the required documents.
For all proposals, you must complete the Proposal Summary (see below for required fields), Key Persons (to include, at minimum, all key persons from GW) and upload documents necessary for routing (COI form, multi-school routing form, technical narrative, budget & justification, etc.)
PROPOSAL SUMMARY REQUIRED FIELDS
- Project Director/Principal Investigator Contact Information (will autopopulate if PI’s profile is complete)
- Department = department/center/institute/office
- Division = school or equivalent
- Agency Name
Project Data (All fields)
- Project Title
- If Subcontract, Prime Sponsor
- Type of Proposal (Grant, Contract, Fellowship, Cooperative Agreement, Other)
- Type of Agency (Federal, State, Industry, Association, Foundation)
- Kind of Application (New, Resubmission, Renewal, Continuation, Revision/supplemental)
- Type of Project (Basic, Capital, Applied, Clinical Study/Trial, Training, Service, Instructional Research, Other)
Compliance Data (All fields)
- Whether or not using Animal Subjects, Human Subjects, Radioactive Materials/Chemicals/etc.
Budget Data (All fields)
- Performance Start/End Dates, First Budget Period Start/End Dates
- Cost Sharing Information
- Direct Cost/Indirect Cost for each Period (Totals Calculated)
Export Controls (If applicable)
- Complete if relevant
Comments and Explanations (Optional)
- Provide any special instructions
Step 6: Add Key Personnel
Under RR Key Persons, add any Co-Investigators and/or other Key Personnel who are part of the project. It is especially important to include those from GW.
- Go to the RR Key Persons form
- Either click on the pencil icon or click Add Key Person in the Manage Key Persons dialog box.
- Search for Key Person’s name. If that person has a profile in Cayuse 424, they will appear in the list. Select their name and click “Add Selected Key Person.” If they do not appear and are a GW employee, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request that they be added. If they are from outside GW, you may opt to create a professional profile for that person and add them.
- Once selected, choose a role for that person. If ‘Other’ is selected, enter the appropriate role in the box.
- Click the ‘Close’ box.
- If you would like to add more information about the Key Person, you can expand their profile within your proposal by clicking the next to their name.
Step 7: Upload Internal Documents
The Documents section under Proposal Summary is for:
- Internal documents for all proposals:
- Conflict of Interest and Financial Disclosures Form (please note, updated version available)
- Budget in Excel
- Budget Justification
- Copy of solicitation
- If applicable: Multi-School Routing Form(s), Subrecipient Commitment form(s) with supporting documentation, Cost Share Form, Sponsor documents/communications
For proposals that are not grants.gov, please be sure to also include a PDF of sponsor package, including Scope of Work or narrative and any other documentation required by the sponsor.
Step 8: Route the Proposal
The routing queue is found in Routing & Approval under the Proposal Management section of the navigation bar. The routing queue is automatically set by OSP in conjunction with your school and starts with the PI, who can approve by checking the box next to her/his name. The proposal will automatically go to the next person.
Once someone in the routing chain has approved the proposal, that person will not be able to edit the forms (e.g., the SF424) or the budget information. Uploaded documents (such as the narrative) may be edited.
Step 9: Proposal Submission
Once the proposal has been fully reviewed and approved, OSP will submit your proposal through Cayuse or other electronic system (e.g., NSF Fastlane, NASA Nspires). If the Opportunity is not supported by an electronic system, OSP will notify you when the proposal has been approved for submission to the sponsor.
Please contact your pre-award sponsored projects administrator.