Last Updated September 4, 2020
External Funding Opportunities
Curated Pivot Search
- The Research Enhancement Unit within the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) has identified COVID-19 related opportunities within Pivot.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Coronavirus portal has a list of funding opportunities related to COVID-19.
- To get funding as quickly as possible to the research community, NIH is using Urgent and Emergency competing revisions and administrative supplements to existing grant awards.
National Science Foundation (NSF)
- The National Science Foundation (NSF) is accepting proposals to conduct non-medical, non-clinical-care research that can be used immediately to explore how to model and understand the spread of COVID-19, to inform and educate about the science of virus transmission and prevention, and to encourage the development of processes and actions to address this global challenge.
- NSF Request for SBIR/STTR Phase I Proposals Addressing COVID-19
Department of Defense
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- PCORI COVID-19 Updates, including funding opportunities
Corporate and Foundation Funders
- The GW Corporate and Foundation Relations Funding Opportunity Database includes COVID-19-related opportunities
Other Lists of Open Funding Opportunities
- Frontiers, a leading open access publisher, has curated a list of open funding calls and other support for researchers, specifically related to COVID-19 and coronavirus-related research.
Assistance with Funding Searches
OVPR’s Research Enhancement Unit is available to assist investigators in locating appropriate funding mechanisms or refining Pivot searches. Email [email protected] to request a consultation.
Reminder: Limited Submission Opportunities
If a funding opportunity limits the number of submissions from each organization, please notify [email protected] immediately to expedite an internal review and selection process.
Review of Research Involving COVID-19
All of the standard protocol reviews apply to COVID-19 related studies and no new projects may commence without these approvals. However, GW’s review boards have implemented plans to speed the reviews of research protocols involving COVID-19.
- The Institutional Biosafety Committee has released interim guidance for research involving COVID-19. The IBC will review applications within five business days. The IBC will convene by teleconference or videoconference as necessary to accommodate these submissions.
- The Institutional Review Board is prioritizing review of these protocols by assembling a standing panel of reviewers that will convene as necessary. For new studies focusing on COVID-19, please include the term COVID in the study title, and follow the process for requesting rush review.
- The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee will continue to conduct official business during the COVID-19 pandemic. Alternatives to face-to-face meetings such as teleconference or video conferencing will be employed in order to ensure protocol approvals are not allowed to expire and that high priority submissions are approved within a timely manner.