Using SciENcv to Prepare NIH Formats
SciENcv will produce approved formats for the NIH Biosketch and Other Support. The Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) encourages researchers (faculty or staff) to consult with a GW Librarian for assistance with using SciENcv.
GW librarians can:
- assist researchers with setting up an ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor Identifier) account. ORCID accounts simplify the process of entering and updating publications in one place, and importing the publication records into SciENcv.
- assist with navigating SciENcv to create and maintain approved formats for NIH.
GW Library Contacts for ORCID or SciENcv Consultations
|Request for Online Consultation with a GW Gelman Librarian
|Request for Online Consultation with a GW Himmelfarb Librarian
The latest release of SciENcv allows you to create a biosketch in the updated NIH format. The updated NIH Biosketch format using SciENcv for Applications, Just-In-Time (JIT) Reports, and Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR) is required for due dates and submissions on and after January 25, 2022 (see NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-110). Failure to follow the appropriate NIH Biosketch format required on and after January 25, 2022 may cause NIH to withdraw your application from consideration.
NIH Other Support
The updated NIH Other Support format requested for Just-in-Time (JIT) and Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR) is required for submissions on and after January 25, 2022 (see NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-073). Applicants are required to use the updated format to prepare Other Support information until the SciENcv template is available. Failure to follow the appropriate NIH Other Support format required on and after January 25, 2022 may cause NIH to withdraw your application from consideration.
Effective January 25, 2022, NIH requirements are:
- NIH Other Support format page must be electronically signed prior to submission as an interim process while NIH transitions to use of the SciENcv template for Other Support.
- Other Support “supporting documentation”— to be included as copies of contracts/agreements specific to senior/key-personnel foreign appointments and/or employment with a foreign institution for all foreign activities and resources reported in the Other Support. If the contracts/agreements are not in English, recipients must provide translated copies to NIH.
- Immediate notification of “undisclosed” Other Support. When a recipient organization discovers that a PD/PI or other Senior/Key personnel on an active NIH grant failed to disclose Other Support information using Just-in-Time or the RPPR, as applicable, the recipient must submit an updated Other Support to the Grants Management Specialist (GMS) named in the Notice of Award as soon as it becomes known.
Having an ORCID account is a prerequisite to using SciENcv. Individuals are encouraged to obtain an ORCID ID in order to prepare NIH formats using SciENcv. To get started, OSP strongly encourages GW researchers to obtain their ORCID account now by visiting the website GW Libraries: ORCID for more information.
- NIH Biosketch Format Pages, Instructions and Samples
- NIH Biosketch FAQs
- NIH Other Support and Foreign Component FAQs
- NIH Table: Pre-award and Post-award Disclosures Relating to the Biographical Sketch and Other Support
- Send inquiries related to changes to the NIH biographical sketch and NIH other support templates to [email protected]. For more details, please review the NIH Notice.
- GW Libraries ORCID Guide
- GW Himmelfarb Library ORCID Guide
- SciENcv Home Page (Training resources are available on the SciENcv website.)