Transferring Research Materials

The Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) manages the process for incoming and outgoing Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs). If you have any questions regarding the process, please e-mail [email protected].

How to Request an MTA

  1. To initiate the material transfer process, please complete the MTA Request Form (DOC) and email it to [email protected].
    • If you are not a faculty member, please have your faculty advisor submit the request on your behalf
  2. If materials will be provided to you, please also send OSR any Materials Transfer Agreement draft supplied to you by the Provider. 
  3. Ensure you include the relevant PTA (Project/Task/Award) for any materials you are requesting for use under a Sponsored Project.
  4. OSP will use the information on the MTA Request Form to negotiate an MTA with the outside party. Please be available to answer any questions that may arise in the process. OSP will require an email confirmation from the GW Investigator that they have read, acknowledged, and concur with the terms of the MTA prior to signature.
  5. OSP will notify you when the MTA is completed.  At this time, you may send or receive the research materials.

An Expedited MTA Process

GW is a signatory to the Uniform Biological Material Transfer Agreement (UBMTA) charter.  The most efficient transfer of materials will take place with other universities that are signatories to the UBMTA charter.  Transfers to such universities requires only signing of the Implementation Letter certifying that the recipient organization has accepted and signed an unmodified copy of the UBMTA Master Agreement. 

MTAs for transfers of materials involving non signatory institutions or companies will take additional time to complete.

See the Master UBMTA Agreement Signatories from Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)’s website for a full list of participating entities to the UBMTA.