SciENcv will produce approved formats for the NIH Biosketch and Other Support, as well as the NSF Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support. The Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) encourages researchers (faculty or staff) to consult with a GW Librarian for assistance with using SciENcv.
GW librarians can:
- assist researchers with setting up an ORCID (Open Researcher and Contributor Identifier) account. ORCID accounts simplify the process of entering and updating publications in one place, and importing the publication records into SciENcv.
- assist with navigating SciENcv to create and maintain approved formats for NIH and NSF.
The updated NIH Biosketch format using SciENcv for Applications, Just-in-Time (JIT) Reports, and Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR) is preferred as early as May 25, 2021 and required for due dates and submissions on and after January 25, 2022 (see NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-110). Failure to follow the appropriate NIH Biosketch format required on and after January 25, 2022 may cause NIH to withdraw your application from consideration.
NIH Other Support
The updated NIH Other Support format for Just-in-Time (JIT) and Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPR) can be used as early as May 25, 2021, and will be required for submissions on and after January 25, 2022 (see NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-073). The SciENcv template for Other Support will be available beginning in FY22. Failure to follow the appropriate NIH Other Support format required on and after January 25, 2022 may cause NIH to withdraw your application from consideration.
Effective January 25, 2022, NIH requires:
- Other Support must be electronically signed prior to submission as an interim process while NIH moves to the use of SciENcv templates for Other Support.
- Other Support “supporting documentation”, to include copies of contracts/agreements specific to senior/key-personnel foreign appointments and/or employment with a foreign institution for all foreign activities and resources that are reported in the Other Support. If the contracts/agreements are not in English, recipients must provide translated copies to NIH.
- Immediate notification of “undisclosed” Other Support. When a recipient organization discovers that a PD/PI or other Senior/Key personnel on an active NIH grant failed to disclose Other Support information using Just-in-Time or the RPPR, as applicable, the recipient must submit an updated Other Support to the Grants Management Specialist (GMS) named in the Notice of Award as soon as it becomes known.
Special Note for NIH Other Support: NIH may request applicant organizations to provide the information/details listed above prior to January 25, 2022, if necessary.
- NIH Biosketch Format Pages, Instructions and Samples
- NIH Biosketch FAQs
- NIH Other Support and Foreign Component FAQs
- NIH Table: Pre-award and Post-award Disclosures Relating to the Biographical Sketch and Other Support
- For NIH-related questions using SciENcv, contact Tom Harrod, Himmelfarb Librarian Manager, via email [email protected].
- Send inquiries related to changes to the NIH biographical sketch and NIH other support templates to [email protected]. For more details, please review the NIH Notice.
NSF Biographical Sketch
NSF-approved formats for the Biographical Sketch is effective for new proposals submitted on and after October 5, 2020. NSF-approved formats for the Biographical Sketch will include SciENcv or researchers may use the NSF-fillable PDF for optional use. Researchers can download the PDF-fillable form from NSF’s Biographical Sketch page, complete the form, and upload it as part of their proposal via FastLane/Research.gov. A set of frequently asked questions related to using SciENcv to create a Biographical Sketch is available online.
NSF Current and Pending Support
NSF-approved formats for the Current and Pending Support is effective for new proposals submitted on and after October 5, 2020. NSF-approved formats for Current and Pending will include SciENcv or researchers may use the NSF-fillable PDF for optional use. Researchers can download the fillable form from NSF’s Current and Pending Support page, complete the form, and upload it as part of their proposal via FastLane/Research.gov. A set of frequently asked questions related to current and pending support is available online.
- NSF Biographical Sketch
- NSF Current and Pending Support
- NSF Table: Pre-award and Post-award Disclosures Relating to the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support